Churchill cigar sold for �4,500
Victoria LeggettA half-smoked cigar, hastily discarded by Winston Churchill in 1941, has been sold for �4,500 at an Aylsham auction house.The four-inch, unfinished 'smoke' took everyone at Keys auctioneers by surprise today as it became the subject of a bidding war between two collectors.Victoria Leggett
A half-smoked cigar, hastily discarded by Winston Churchill in 1941, has been sold for �4,500 at an Aylsham auction house.
The four-inch, unfinished 'smoke' took everyone at Keys auctioneers by surprise today as it became the subject of a bidding war between two collectors.
Sarah Prior, of Keys, said there had been huge international interest in the lot leading up to the sale but no-one had expected it to fetch 15 times its original �300 estimate.
She said: 'We knew it would probably reach four figures, but we couldn't have dreamed it would go for �4,500.'
You may also want to watch:
The cigar came straight from the lips of the wartime statesman on August 22, 1941, as he dashed away to an urgent cabinet meeting.
It was collected up by Downing Street valet Nellie Goble and sent to a friend, along with a note explaining its impressive background.
- 1 How a now quiet North Norfolk village was once a bustling European port
- 2 How a north Norfolk holiday hotspot was before tourists
- 3 All the major Christmas events in Norfolk that can go ahead
- 4 Special report: Future of Holt Hall hangs in balance ahead of recommendation to close it
- 5 Christmas arrives in Cromer with fantastic lights display
- 6 Street’s Christmas lights switched on early to “brighten things up”
- 7 Davies, Blogg, Sadler and Shipp - Local families inspire school’s new house system
- 8 People released from car after crash closes road
- 9 Friends of Holt Hall urge public to sign petition after consultation snub
- 10 Norfolk sees significant falls in Covid cases, figures show
Today's winning bidder, who was determined to stop the cigar leaving the country, came from Hertfordshire and plans to keep it at his home as part of a private collection of historical memorabilia.