‘My children have got a damp home’ - disabled mum’s flooding misery
- Credit: Archant
A disabled woman says she has been left 'thousands of pounds out of pocket' after her boiler overheated, flooding her home.
Amanda Deacon, 37, who suffers from degenerative disc disease and fibromyalgia, has lived in her bungalow in Langham, near Wells, which owned by Victory Housing, for five years.
But in February, the boiler in the property, where Ms Deacon lives with her two children, ten and 14, overheated, flooding her home and damaging wallpaper, a fireplace, and her mobility aids.
Last week she received a letter from Victory Housing saying she would not be entitled to an offer in respect of her insurance claim.
The company said they regretted the damage and focused on responding to repair requests 'as promptly as possible'.
You may also want to watch:
Ms Deacon's partner, Matthew Mortimer, discovered the flooding.
Mr Mortimer, 31, said: 'The hot water had melted the tank in the loft and the overflow pipe and flooded everything.
- 1 'A lovely talented man': Tributes to Cromer Pier Show headliner Phil Butler
- 2 Hotel in north Norfolk named one of the best in the UK
- 3 Seal charity to take 'unprecendented' action to protect Norfolk seal colony
- 4 Sports body pushes for 54-home plan to go before the government
- 5 Norfolk rugby star takes indefinite leave due to wife's illness
- 6 Student nurse's plea after two years of university work stolen from car
- 7 See inside former brewery transformed into a cottage for sale for £875k
- 8 Car overturns in north Norfolk crash
- 9 Country park awarded 'Green Flag' for 17th year in a row
- 10 Are these the best room views in the UK? Norfolk hotel scoops prize
'It was like a waterfall.
'Everywhere there was a hole there was water coming out.'
Mr Mortimer, a former chauffeur, added: 'There's mould through the whole bungalow.
'You've got to have the boiler on the lowest of temperatures. It only just takes the chill out of the property.'
Ms Deacon said: 'I've been putting a lot of money in to get the house the way I wanted it.
'I paid £250 to get my lounge wallpapered and it looked lovely.
'I had a fireplace to go with it.'
She added: 'Victory won't replace it and that's all my savings gone.
'I can't work and money is tight.
'It's so much expense.
'I'm thousands of pounds out of pocket and my children have now got a damp home that I can't wallpaper.'
A spokesperson for Victory Housing said: 'Mrs Deacon was informed the wallpaper that was damaged by the water would be removed by Victory, and a primer sealer would be applied to the wall to enable redecoration.
'A number of repairs have been undertaken since the escape of water, including a replacement hot water cylinder.'
They added: 'We regret any damage and inconvenience that Mrs Deacon may have experienced and we advise all tenants to hold contents insurance for these kind of situations.
'Our focus has been to respond to repair requests Mrs Deacon has raised as promptly as possible.'