£500 charity grant kick-starts residents’ plans to buy Norfolk pub
- Credit: Sonya Duncan
A fundraising campaign to buy a village pub for the community has been kick-started with a £500 charity grant.
Residents aim to buy Swanton Abbott's only pub, the Jolly Farmers, but need to raise about £250,000 in just six months.
Power to Change, a charity that supports community businesses, has awarded a £500 seed fund grant to the fundraising campaign.
Gill Kimmerling, clerk to Swanton Abbott Parish Council, said: 'It's a great boost to our confidence to receive this grant, even before we have set up our organisation.
'We have a second meeting on January 8 to set up a steering group to start fundraising.'
You may also want to watch:
The pub has been registered with North Norfolk District Council as an asset of community value.
Current landlord and owner Les Christman did not wish to comment.
- 1 £20,000 recording studio set to open in market town bank vault
- 2 Gelato and chocolate shop to open two new Norfolk stores
- 3 Prince Philip's humorous Norfolk care home visit remembered
- 4 Couple put up for sale £1.1m barn they saved from demolition
- 5 The Original Factory Shop set to open in Cromer
- 6 Council claws back affordable homes after costly blunder
- 7 Council puts former public toilets on seafront up for rent
- 8 Man taken to hospital after crash near Aylsham
- 9 Election 2021: Norfolk County Council candidates published
- 10 Man denies murder of 42-year-old who was stabbed in neck
Are you setting up a community business? Email Robert@robertashton.co.uk to find out about the help available.