Centenarian Gladys shops in style
WHEN she was a little girl, horse and traps were a common sight on the streets on any market town.And as she prepared to celebrate her 100th birthday, Gladys Williams was able to round off her weekly shop in style as she cadged a lift home on one of the classic carriages.
WHEN she was a little girl, horse and traps were a common sight on the streets on any market town.
And as she prepared to celebrate her 100th birthday, Gladys Williams was able to round off her weekly shop in style as she cadged a lift home on one of the classic carriages.
But, apart from the unexpected ride home in style, it was business as usual for the spritely Mrs Williams as she went about
her weekly shopping at the butchers and grocers.
The centenarian celebrated her birthday on Saturday at a special tea party with friends in Aylsham.
The former teacher moved to Aylsham 28 years ago, when she and her husband fell in love with the county.
- 1 'Amazing' display of cascading poppies now on display in Cromer
- 2 More details revealed on replacement for beloved coastal railway
- 3 Business park plan could bring 14 new jobs to North Walsham
- 4 North Walsham 'Live Aid' legend calls it a day after 17 years
- 5 First look inside: New deli and surf shop open on coast
- 6 Landlord appeals against fine for 'excess cold and electrical hazards'
- 7 How north Norfolk will be celebrating the Jubilee
- 8 Morgan the model moggie raises £1,000s for other animals
- 9 Cafe and shop along Norfolk Broads up for sale with 'rare opportunity'
- 10 Car set alight in arson attack in north Norfolk
She said: “We came for four days and then bought a bungalow. I have loved it here; I have always been made to feel very welcome.”
As she collected her regular meat order, from Coxfords in Aylsham Market Place, there were congratulations from all the staff and bit of a giggle as Mrs Williams revealed her secret to a long and healthy life - a bottle of sherry a week.
Butcher Allan Payne said: “She always comes in here with a smile and you would never really think she was 100.
“We always enjoy a laugh and a joke when she comes in.”