Extra push needed to raise money for spitfire memorial appeal
- Credit: Archant
An extra push is needed to raise the money to erect a full-sized replica of a Supermarine Spitfire on a plinth at Langham Dome in north Norfolk.
It will sit alongside the dome and visitor centre at the now disused airfield at RAF Langham, near Wells.
About £20,000 of the £35,000 needed for the Langham Dome Spitfire Memorial Appeal was raised through various grants and functions.
A US Spitfire owner has agreed to match any money raised by the Friends of Langham Dome whose crowdfunding page has already raised £5,490.
Friends' chairman Patrick Allen said: 'We will dedicate the memorial to a pilot, Richard Younghusband, who was the last fatality at Langham in July 1953.'
You may also want to watch:
The dome is one of the last remaining structures built during the Second World War to house the Dome Trainer, a war-winning invention used for anti-aircraft gunnery training.
If you can help with the appeal, visit www.crowdfunder.co.uk/langham-dome-spitfire-memorial
- 1 £20,000 recording studio set to open in market town bank vault
- 2 Gelato and chocolate shop to open two new Norfolk stores
- 3 Prince Philip's humorous Norfolk care home visit remembered
- 4 The Original Factory Shop set to open in Cromer
- 5 Couple put up for sale £1.1m barn they saved from demolition
- 6 Council puts former public toilets on seafront up for rent
- 7 Prince Philip memorial erected in town park just a day after his death
- 8 Tribute to loving and kind war veteran who opened school in Norfolk
- 9 Election 2021: Norfolk County Council candidates published
- 10 Council claws back affordable homes after costly blunder