Campaign sees shoppers helping Cromer church bells appeal
News readers can help bag a boost for Cromer's church bells – just by shopping at a local store.
Today the North Norfolk News is helping to launch a six-week Pick Up A Penny fundraising campaign with the Anglia Co-operative foodstore in Middlebrook Way.
Every till receipt collected at the store from now until Sunday, August 12, will earn 1p for the �30,000 appeal to spruce up the 140-year-old church bells at Cromer Parish Church.
The bells' first major overhaul in 140 years will also make them easier to ring and there are hopes of adding two lighter ones for younger and less able people to learn on said steeplekeeper Dr Maureen Gardiner.
She added: 'We really appreciate your support. We believe Cromer's bells make a contribution to the life of the community here and it is really helpful to have such a visible endorsement.'
You may also want to watch:
It would also help with the church's applications for grants.
Store manager Mark Dixon hoped the campaign would give a significant boost for the appeal.
- 1 Cliff fall warning issued for North Norfolk ahead of Storm Christoph
- 2 Town leaves Christmas lights on throughout January
- 3 Family butcher and livestock market operator dies aged 74
- 4 Armed police detain man after 18 hours of negotiations
- 5 Covid rips through care homes again with deaths almost doubling in a week
- 6 Timeline: When should you receive the coronavirus vaccine?
- 7 Where the pines meet the sea on the north Norfolk coast
- 8 Hospital gets a brand new MRI machine
- 9 Man who died after falling from cliff took his own life, inquest rules
- 10 Store open despite positive Covid test at town centre Sainsbury's
He said: 'Last year we raised �150 for the Friends of East Runton when our customers handed in almost 15,000 till receipts!
'It doesn't matter how much you spend – it's the number of till receipts that counts. The more you shop with us until August 12 the more you will help raise for the church bells appeal. Don't throw your till receipt away – put it in the special collecting box near the checkouts.'
As a thank you for taking part in the fundraising campaign, shoppers are being given a coupon to save �6 the next time they spend �40 at the store. Buy this week's News to get your coupon.
If you are interested in the appeal or bellringing call Dr Gardiner on 01263 825779 or 07909 916752 or email email@example.com