Spooky scarecrows to spot around village
- Credit: Supplied by Sonia Gray
Visitors to the twin villages of Buxton and Lamas could be in for a surprise.
Residents of the north Norfolk parish have set up 43 different scarecrow scenes in front gardens and public places as part of the first Buxton Scarecrow Festival.
A wedding scene, Peppa Pig and a Minion are just some of the themes on show as part of the trail, which is raising money for four youth groups: Buxton Preschool Playgroup, Buxton Youth Football Club, 1st Buxton Lamas Scout Group and Buxton Rainbows and Brownies.
Sonia Gray, one of the organisers, said the idea for the festival came about on a Buxton Gardening Group chat on Facebook.
She said: "On there, a lady call Fran Annis suggested a scarecrow event in the village might be a good idea to lift spirits in a Covid-safe way after a gloomy 18 months.
"Lots of local businesses have donated prizes for the scarecrow competition and four local members of the community have agreed to judge the competition categories."
Maps of the trail - which runs until Saturday, October 30, are on sale at McColl's in Crown Road, Buxton.
- 1 Move to make second home owners pay more tax is welcomed
- 2 Bar and restaurant could open in old coach house
- 3 'Something a bit different' - Tex-Mex shack spices up seaside town
- 4 Norfolk village named among poshest places to live in the UK
- 5 Meet the man behind a morbid new craze
- 6 Three people injured after Land Rover and lorry crash on the A140
- 7 Eighties music and a puppet called Arthur coming to Cromer Pier
- 8 Dramatic drone pictures show scale of erosion on north Norfolk coast
- 9 Converted barn to Scandi-style lodge: 5 bungalows for sale in Norfolk
- 10 Roadworks to be aware of in Norfolk this week