Restaurant owner buys Dr Who Dalek at auction - 'to put by piano'
- Credit: Archant
It was a case of the £600-£800 price-tag being 'exterminated' when a Norfolk buyer shelled out £2,020 for a full-sized enemy of the Time Lord.
Hannah Springham, who runs the Dial House in Reepham as well as the Farmyard restaurant in Norwich with husband Andrew, out-bid other hopefuls for the Dr Who relic.
She said she will be positioning the Dalek in the Dial House entrance hall. The Dalek will be for sale like other items in the venue, which also has eight guest bedrooms, and hopefully be a talking point.
"The Dalek will be for sale but I hope he stays forever, he will be a fab addition. We like to live up to being a quirky hotel and imagine coming for a break away in Norfolk and being greeted by a Dalek.
"I'm going to put him opposite the piano so it would be great if someone could play the theme tune to Dr Who."
You may also want to watch:
The Dial House aims to reopen in the middle of May. "It will be so nice to reopen, we don't do this job to do it online, but to be with people," she added.
Many other lots in the movie and music memorabilia online sale also exceeded their guide prices.
- 1 Gelato and chocolate shop to open two new Norfolk stores
- 2 The Original Factory Shop set to open in Cromer
- 3 £20,000 recording studio set to open in market town bank vault
- 4 Prince Philip memorial erected in town park just a day after his death
- 5 When 13-year-old Prince Philip visited Cromer following 1934 crab boat disaster
- 6 'We love the town sentimentally' - Holt opticians firm opens 10th store in lockdown
- 7 Couple put up for sale £1.1m barn they saved from demolition
- 8 Prince Philip's humorous Norfolk care home visit remembered
- 9 Town church to hold memorial service for Prince Philip tomorrow
- 10 Tribute to loving and kind war veteran who opened school in Norfolk
These included a poster of the movie A Clockwork Orange which sold for £150, well above its £25-£30 guide.
A collection of programmes including one for Michael Jackson's 1988 world tour including a ticket also fetched well over its expected price of £20-£30 when it sold for £120.
The Dalek came from a series in which the seventh Time Lord, played by Sylvester McCoy and his companion Ace, played by Sophie Aldred, travel back to 1963 to retrieve the Hand of Omega, a powerful device created by the Doctor's race.
It's widely considered by fans to be one of the greatest Dr Who stories of all time.