Optimism reigns supreme as Cromer businesses get ready for the tourist season
- Credit: Submitted
Businesses in Cromer are getting ready for the new season with renewed confidence after last year's successes.
Gary Dickenson, President of Cromer Chamber of Trade and Business, said firms had been investing profits in refurbishments and new digital marketing, with optimism among retailers high for another good tourist season.
He said more people were also visiting Cromer to take part in the walks on offer around town.
He said: 'This is a quiet time of the year with businesses getting ready for the new season. But there is a bullish attitude among businesses and confidence in going forward. The general feeling is that businesses are going from strength to strength.
'They have reported lots of compliments they have received to me, not only about their own businesses, but Cromer as a whole.
'All the shops in Cromer are let out apart from the two banks, Santander and Barclays, which recently closed.'
He added: 'There has been big refurbishments at the Old Rock Shop Bistro and Café Main has a new website.
- 1 First coastal road marathon in three decades hailed 'magnificent' success
- 2 North Norfolk hotel named among most romantic and best small stays in UK
- 3 Holkham pub closes to drinkers to become hotel and restaurant
- 4 Six beaches in Norfolk awarded Blue Flag status for 2022
- 5 Travel: Stay on the UK's first floating glamping pod...in Beccles
- 6 Seven beach walks with a cafe pit stop to try in Norfolk
- 7 Couple about to leave north Norfolk fish and chip shop
- 8 Hundreds visit new art gallery in Cromer in its first week
- 9 Man swims for survival after speedboat sinks off Norfolk coast
- 10 Decision not to seek government intervention over Holt Hall sale defended
'Other places have added a lick of paint. Cromer Trophies and Engraving in West Street bought a laser engraving machine, and did the engraving for the first North Norfolk business awards.
'And Trespass opened in Cromer - why would a large chain invest in the town, if they did not feel confident?
'As for walking, two national trails come through north Norfolk and the town has lots of circular walks.
'The Walkers are Welcome group is coming to Cromer for the national get-together in October. A walk on the beach is just as nice in January as June. 'You can go out into the bracing wind, get chilled and wet-through, then go into a nice warm place for a coffee.
'And then we have got the big events again this year, with the carnival and the crab and lobster festival. And we've got BBC's Antiques Roadshow coming to Cromer pier in May, which is something to look forward to.'
The Cromer Chamber AGM, where officers are elected for a further 12 months, is at 7pm on March 5 at the Virginia Court Hotel.