‘Most dangerous idea in British politics’ - Brexit party candidate on Lib Dem’s pledge to revoke Article 50
- Credit: Archant
The Brexit Party candidate for North Norfolk has called the Liberal Democrats' proposal to revoke Article 50 'the single most dangerous idea in British politics'.
It comes after Karen Ward, the Lib Dem candidate in North Norfolk, following Sir Norman Lamb's decision not to stand again, said she wanted to revoke Article 50 immediately and kill off Brexit.
Brexit Party candidate Harry Gwynne said: "This is no longer about whether you voted Leave or Remain, it's about whether you believe in the concept of democracy or not.
"Offering your population a choice and saying, as our government did, 'The Government will implement your decision' and then not doing so essentially renders our democracy meaningless.
"Our democracy may not be perfect but it is the thin line that divides us from authoritarianism and chaos; it should not be held so cheaply.
You may also want to watch:
"The only way we can move forward and heal as a country is by implementing what was voted for."
However, Ms Ward has hit back.
- 1 How a now quiet North Norfolk village was once a bustling European port
- 2 How a north Norfolk holiday hotspot was before tourists
- 3 Norfolk coronavirus infection rates fall further
- 4 North Norfolk farmer who grew potatoes for Walkers crisps dies aged 92
- 5 Council apologises for removing WW2 gun emplacement parts without notice
- 6 What does tier two mean for you? Step-by-step guide to new rules
- 7 'People will be disappointed' : North Norfolk reacts to new tier 2 restrictions
- 8 Why have Norfolk and Suffolk been placed in Tier 2?
- 9 'Hugely disappointed': Reaction to Tier 2 Covid restrictions for Norfolk
- 10 'We just need a vaccine' - Cromer reacts to being placed in tier two
She said: "The prospect of a no-deal Brexit is already having damaging consequences in north Norfolk.
"I have spoken to residents who are concerned about shortages of their medication.
"Many of our NHS and social care staff are EU nationals and they are rightly worried about their futures.
"The conference motion was a clear general election manifesto position - we will immediately revoke Article 50, if we win a majority in the forthcoming General Election.
"There is nothing undemocratic about a GE mandate."
Duncan Baker, Conservative Party candidate for North Norfolk, said: "The Lib Dems' stance is a worrying, extremist move which confirms in black and white their truly undemocratic position.
"The country voted to leave in 2016, 59pc of North Norfolk voted to leave and the Conservative Party is the only party in Parliament with a clear priority to deliver this.
"It is a shameful position to simply reject a democratic vote.
"As your Conservative PPC, I campaigned to leave and will do everything I can to ensure we leave with no more dither, no more delay - and simply get Brexit done."