Beware purse-dippers - north Norfolk warning
Police are hunting a gang who have been stealing purses from mainly elderly women while out shopping.Officers said the gang had targeted victims in Sheringham, Cromer,Holt and Fakenham with other crimes in other parts of the county possibly linked.
Police are hunting a gang who have been stealing purses from mainly elderly women while out shopping.
Officers said the gang had targeted victims in Sheringham, Cromer,Holt and Fakenham with other crimes in other parts of the county possibly linked.
The crime - described by police as 'purse dipping' - has involved a team of two men watching shoppers at cash machines to see how much money they have taken out or if they have written down the pin number.
The men then pointed out the shopper to the women in the team, who followed the victim and either jostled them whilst dipping the bag or took the bag or purse from a trolley.
Only one description of the thieves has been given, that of a woman seen taking part in the crime in Holt. She was of medium build, about 5ft 6in to 5ft 8in, with shoulder length blond hair, wearing a grey poncho jacket, black polo neck, black cropped trousers, black boots, black beret and carrying a large black bag.
Victims have included a woman aged in her 80s who had her purse stolen when she was in the Salvation Army charity shop in Sheringham. In that case the thieves used a debit card to withdraw more than �250 from her account.
- 1 See inside this 17th century house with a hot tub and direct beach access
- 2 Man made threats to hurt ex-partner's father
- 3 Historic miller's house goes up for sale - and it needs renovating
- 4 Your say: Should we close carparks at north Norfolk beauty spots?
- 5 Nominees for the North Norfolk Awards 2021 revealed
- 6 The £500,000 plan to redo two town loos
- 7 Blickling bathed in light in stunning festive display
- 8 Scarlett-Rose gets the chop for children's charity
- 9 Christmas service returns to crematorium
- 10 Review: Cromer Pier Christmas Show at the Pavilion Theatre, Cromer
Anyone with information should contact their local safer neighbourhood team on 0845 4564567