Beware purse-dippers - north Norfolk warning
Police are hunting a gang who have been stealing purses from mainly elderly women while out shopping.Officers said the gang had targeted victims in Sheringham, Cromer,Holt and Fakenham with other crimes in other parts of the county possibly linked.
Police are hunting a gang who have been stealing purses from mainly elderly women while out shopping.
Officers said the gang had targeted victims in Sheringham, Cromer,Holt and Fakenham with other crimes in other parts of the county possibly linked.
The crime - described by police as 'purse dipping' - has involved a team of two men watching shoppers at cash machines to see how much money they have taken out or if they have written down the pin number.
The men then pointed out the shopper to the women in the team, who followed the victim and either jostled them whilst dipping the bag or took the bag or purse from a trolley.
You may also want to watch:
Only one description of the thieves has been given, that of a woman seen taking part in the crime in Holt. She was of medium build, about 5ft 6in to 5ft 8in, with shoulder length blond hair, wearing a grey poncho jacket, black polo neck, black cropped trousers, black boots, black beret and carrying a large black bag.
Victims have included a woman aged in her 80s who had her purse stolen when she was in the Salvation Army charity shop in Sheringham. In that case the thieves used a debit card to withdraw more than �250 from her account.
- 1 Sisters reopen popular riverside pub
- 2 'Unauthorised' headstones ruin family's final wishes
- 3 Hospital investigated over 'contentious' deaths goes bust owing £4m
- 4 Fresh weather warning with Storm Evert set to hit Norfolk
- 5 Your say - What is your favourite restaurant in north Norfolk?
- 6 Appeal to find missing man from London last seen at Norfolk campsite
- 7 Classic Ibiza setlist for Blickling Estate revealed
- 8 Tributes to popular entertainer after death following tragic accident
- 9 Norfolk seaside holiday park battles Shell over solar panel plans
- 10 Stunning north Norfolk images shared to mark Norfolk Day
Anyone with information should contact their local safer neighbourhood team on 0845 4564567