Beer festival cheers Holt community centre funds
Beer drinkers have boosted an appeal to fund improvements to Holt community centre.
A weekend charity beer festival at the venue doubled its debut figure from last year and will top �1,000 profit.
Organiser Duncan Baker said more than 1,000 pints had been enjoyed by a 350-strong turnout on Friday and Saturday.
As well as 16 different local ales, there was also live music which reached a climax with a 'carnival atmosphere' on Saturday night.
The event came about through the resurgent local Round Table club responding to a rallying call from the centre, which is looking to increase usage and is embarking on a �100,000 programme of improvements which includes an appeal for �12,000 of local fund-raising.
You may also want to watch:
Last year the event raised �600, but was hopeful of doubling that this time, said Mr Baker.
Three years ago Holt Round Table had shrunk to just one member, but a concerted effort now saw it as one of the youngest and strongest local clubs in the international network of clubs for men under 45, he added. They had a dozen members with an average age of 26.
- 1 Escape to the Country names 'north Norfolk's seaside capital'
- 2 'Crisis' appeal as heritage railway loses £765k in year
- 3 Popular wine merchant took his own life, inquest hears
- 4 Last chance to own historic items as town hall goes under offer
- 5 Norfolk scenes cut from Netflix's Sutton Hoo film The Dig
- 6 The areas where Covid rates have fallen the fastest since lockdown began
- 7 Parachute flare discovered on Norfolk beach
- 8 Yellow weather warning for snow in place across region
- 9 5 tips from Norwich expert to keep your car in peak condition in lockdown
- 10 How Norfolk shantymen got involved in viral TikTok trend
It is a social club, where meetings range from sport to outside visits, which helps charity as a spin off.
The festival was also helping attract prospective members. Anyone interested in finding out more about Round Table can contact Mr Baker on 07971 980422.
Anyone who can help the community centre fund-raising should contact centre administrator Freda Davy on 01263 713427.