Beer festival cheers Holt community centre funds
Beer drinkers have boosted an appeal to fund improvements to Holt community centre.
A weekend charity beer festival at the venue doubled its debut figure from last year and will top �1,000 profit.
Organiser Duncan Baker said more than 1,000 pints had been enjoyed by a 350-strong turnout on Friday and Saturday.
As well as 16 different local ales, there was also live music which reached a climax with a 'carnival atmosphere' on Saturday night.
The event came about through the resurgent local Round Table club responding to a rallying call from the centre, which is looking to increase usage and is embarking on a �100,000 programme of improvements which includes an appeal for �12,000 of local fund-raising.
You may also want to watch:
Last year the event raised �600, but was hopeful of doubling that this time, said Mr Baker.
Three years ago Holt Round Table had shrunk to just one member, but a concerted effort now saw it as one of the youngest and strongest local clubs in the international network of clubs for men under 45, he added. They had a dozen members with an average age of 26.
- 1 Concern over state of beach following £22m sandscaping project
- 2 Happy birthday, Arthur! 100 up for Second World War naval hero
- 3 Hospital to close with loss of 120 jobs
- 4 County council election 2021: Who is standing in north Norfolk?
- 5 Hotel's bid for nine holiday lodges 'to compete with Airbnb'
- 6 Rescue drama as kayaker spotted 'clinging to a buoy'
- 7 Listed townhouse with 'most stunning' features is for sale for £595,000
- 8 Taxi driver beaten up in case of mistaken identity
- 9 Rats issue at coastal car park resolved
- 10 Norfolk attractions enjoy 'amazing' Saturday as visitors flood back
It is a social club, where meetings range from sport to outside visits, which helps charity as a spin off.
The festival was also helping attract prospective members. Anyone interested in finding out more about Round Table can contact Mr Baker on 07971 980422.
Anyone who can help the community centre fund-raising should contact centre administrator Freda Davy on 01263 713427.