Controversial retirement flats to be opened by summer

Beaumaris Court site manager Bernie Watson, left, with Sheringham's mayor, Mark Hill. Picture: McCar

Beaumaris Court site manager Bernie Watson, left, with Sheringham's mayor, Mark Hill. Picture: McCarthy and Stone - Credit: Archant

A controversial 30-home retirement village under construction in Sheringham is expected to be opened by summer.

And the one and two-bedroom flats at Beaumaris Court in South Street will be on sale from February.

Sheringham mayor, Mark Hill, said the new development would be an asset for the town after a visit to the site on January 10.

Mr Hill said: 'Living independently and securely is so important, and, with an ageing population, it is good to see developments like this, which will help local retirees maintain their lifestyle with ease.'

The flats are designed for residents over 60. They are being built on the site of the former Beaumaris Hotel, which was demolished last year.

A visualisation of what the new Beaumaris Court development in South Street, Sheringham, will look

A visualisation of what the new Beaumaris Court development in South Street, Sheringham, will look like. Image: Planning documents - Credit: Archant


You may also want to watch:


During the application process the town council, Historic England and neighbours had opposed the plans, labelling them an over-development of the site.

But North Norfolk District Council gave it the go-ahead as along as developer, McCarthy and Stone, pledged to give £40,000 to enhance library services in the town and infrastructure at Sheringham Little Theatre.

MORE: Former Beaumaris hotel in Sheringham set for demolition

Most Read

Become a Supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Become a Supporter