Bangers-for-cash scheme boosts north Norfolk charity
Old bangers and other unwanted cars, including a BMW, are helping adults with learning difficulties using a respite and activities home near North Walsham.
Brampton Lodge, in Ridlington, belongs to the charity Thera which has signed up to benefit from the national Giveacar scheme.
Giveacar takes unwanted vehicles for auction, or sells them for scrap, donating the proceeds to more than 200 charities. The scheme is free to owners and they can chose the cause they want to help.
Thera, which joined the scheme seven months ago, has already received �837 after owners asked for their car sale proceeds to benefit the charity.
The cash came from three cars, including a BMW from the London area which was auctioned, raising more than �600.
You may also want to watch:
Launched in January this year, giveacar had already handed out �125,000 to good causes, according to chief executive Tom Chance.
Among other regional charities which have registered with the scheme are the East Anglian Children's Hospices (EACH) , which had received over �5,000, and Norwich-based eating disorder charity Beat which had very recently joined, he added.
- 1 Vets announces temporary closure due to staff shortages
- 2 Hardware store owners retiring after more than 60 years
- 3 Your say - What is your favourite restaurant in north Norfolk?
- 4 Sisters reopen popular riverside pub
- 5 Fresh weather warning with Storm Evert set to hit Norfolk
- 6 Every Norfolk primary school rated as 'Outstanding'
- 7 The sea has to be respected - so why don’t people learn?
- 8 Thousands of rural homes to benefit from broadband funding
- 9 Coastguard joins search for missing London man last seen in Norfolk
- 10 Tributes to popular entertainer after death following tragic accident
Thera supports 220 adults with learning difficulties in East Anglia.
Mark Harrop, manager at seven-place Brampton Lodge, said they were raising money for a sensory room to benefit those who came for a break, or to take part in a range of day activities.
Later this month seven members of staff plan a sponsored 30-mile walk from Walcott to Wells, camping overnight at Kelling Heath, to launch the appeal.
Giveacar can be contacted on 020 0011 1664 or at: www.giveacar.co.uk