Bangers-for-cash scheme boosts north Norfolk charity
Old bangers and other unwanted cars, including a BMW, are helping adults with learning difficulties using a respite and activities home near North Walsham.
Brampton Lodge, in Ridlington, belongs to the charity Thera which has signed up to benefit from the national Giveacar scheme.
Giveacar takes unwanted vehicles for auction, or sells them for scrap, donating the proceeds to more than 200 charities. The scheme is free to owners and they can chose the cause they want to help.
Thera, which joined the scheme seven months ago, has already received �837 after owners asked for their car sale proceeds to benefit the charity.
The cash came from three cars, including a BMW from the London area which was auctioned, raising more than �600.
You may also want to watch:
Launched in January this year, giveacar had already handed out �125,000 to good causes, according to chief executive Tom Chance.
Among other regional charities which have registered with the scheme are the East Anglian Children's Hospices (EACH) , which had received over �5,000, and Norwich-based eating disorder charity Beat which had very recently joined, he added.
- 1 Dancers' dilemma: Pier show cast priced out by Airbnb
- 2 Fond farewell for lifelong Cromer crab fisherman
- 3 'Truly sorry' - Former rival pays damages to Norfolk MP
- 4 'A nightmare' - Roadworks cause traffic chaos in North Walsham
- 5 Nature lovers' dream? Two wildlife paradises for sale
- 6 Daughter's tragic death from rare illness sparks dad's fundraiser
- 7 Two Norfolk towns to fight for share of £220m funding war chest
- 8 Demolition of seaside hotel begins
- 9 Delays remain but town traffic chaos eases with removal of lights
- 10 Slight increase in Norfolk coronavirus rates after restrictions eased
Thera supports 220 adults with learning difficulties in East Anglia.
Mark Harrop, manager at seven-place Brampton Lodge, said they were raising money for a sensory room to benefit those who came for a break, or to take part in a range of day activities.
Later this month seven members of staff plan a sponsored 30-mile walk from Walcott to Wells, camping overnight at Kelling Heath, to launch the appeal.
Giveacar can be contacted on 020 0011 1664 or at: www.giveacar.co.uk