Bangers-for-cash scheme boosts north Norfolk charity
Old bangers and other unwanted cars, including a BMW, are helping adults with learning difficulties using a respite and activities home near North Walsham.
Brampton Lodge, in Ridlington, belongs to the charity Thera which has signed up to benefit from the national Giveacar scheme.
Giveacar takes unwanted vehicles for auction, or sells them for scrap, donating the proceeds to more than 200 charities. The scheme is free to owners and they can chose the cause they want to help.
Thera, which joined the scheme seven months ago, has already received �837 after owners asked for their car sale proceeds to benefit the charity.
The cash came from three cars, including a BMW from the London area which was auctioned, raising more than �600.
You may also want to watch:
Launched in January this year, giveacar had already handed out �125,000 to good causes, according to chief executive Tom Chance.
Among other regional charities which have registered with the scheme are the East Anglian Children's Hospices (EACH) , which had received over �5,000, and Norwich-based eating disorder charity Beat which had very recently joined, he added.
- 1 Man in 20s dies and three hurt as Audi crashes into wall
- 2 Chef Galton Blackiston closes fish and chip shop during week
- 3 Londoners fined for travelling to stay at second home in Norfolk
- 4 A148 shut for 'most of morning' after serious crash
- 5 Hundreds of homes across Norfolk hit by power cut
- 6 Met Office warns of snow at weekend
- 7 Sport and TV stars heading to Norfolk for new festival
- 8 Norfolk wakes up to snow with more expected to fall
- 9 Drivers face non-essential travel fines after spate of snow crashes
- 10 Several burst mains in town leave homes without water
Thera supports 220 adults with learning difficulties in East Anglia.
Mark Harrop, manager at seven-place Brampton Lodge, said they were raising money for a sensory room to benefit those who came for a break, or to take part in a range of day activities.
Later this month seven members of staff plan a sponsored 30-mile walk from Walcott to Wells, camping overnight at Kelling Heath, to launch the appeal.
Giveacar can be contacted on 020 0011 1664 or at: www.giveacar.co.uk