Bakers and Larners rise to occasion
- Credit: Archant
A shop in north Norfolk has been named Britain's Best Independent Department Store at the 2016 Housewares Innovation Awards.
Bakers and Larners of Holt credited the award to the hard work and dedication of its staff.
And the Market Place store thanked its customers for their support.
It saw off competition from across the country including retailers Barretts of St Neots, Creaseys of Guernsey, H & J Cutlack of Ely and Morleys Stores, Greater London.
Speaking after being presented with the award by journalist, writer and broadcaster Jay Rayner at Birmingham NEC's Vox Conference Centre earlier this month, Bakers and Larners' Managing Director, Michael Baker said: 'This award is testament to the achievements of our enthusiastic and dedicated staff who work tirelessly to ensure that our store is unrivalled in terms of quality of service and sheer product variety.
'Our status as Britain's Best Independent Department store builds upon what proved to be an extremely successful 2015 for the business — a quality that we fully intend to carry into 2016 and beyond.'
Judging the retail categories was an expert panel that included Peter Battersby from Charles Viancin, Patrick Winters from Pendeford Housewares, Patrick Gardner from T&G Woodware, Lisa Scott from Gourmet Gadgetry, Russell Elmes from Russ Elmes Agencies, Melanie Harradine from MJ Harradine and Kevin Towler from Kevin Towler Agencies.
- 1 Theatre director's planning bid branded 'an attempt to rewrite history'
- 2 Light it up! Hundreds flock to Cromer Christmas festival
- 3 New 'boutique hotel' for hedgehogs opens in north Norfolk
- 4 Delving into north Norfolk's rich railway history with the U3A
- 5 'I'd throw a massive street party' - Q&A with Tracey Ringwood
- 6 German filmmaker's 'love letter to Britain' features famous Norfolk show
- 7 Village sub postmistress hangs up her date stamp after 24 years
- 8 Fury at bikers' who rode over dead seal pup
- 9 Bid to build 70-bed care home and 24 affordable houses
- 10 Your say: How would you improve Holt?
Receiving a unanimous decision from the judges, the panel said of the Bakers and Larners store: 'It's always moving forward, with fantastic displays, a wonderful ethic and great staff – one of the best buyers in the business.'
It isn't the first time the Holt shop has been recognised, however.
The accolade follows the business having received the Best Independent Department Store award at the 2015 Excellence in Housewares awards, and its sister store C T Baker Budgens of Aylsham's recognition as Post Office Retailer of the Year at the Retail Industry Awards last September.
A spokesperson for the store added: 'Bakers and Larners would like to congratulate its staff for their hard work and dedication in the lead up to its award and expresses a heartfelt thank you to its customers.'