Aylsham teen prepares to teach life lessons on the pitch
An Aylsham teen is harnessing his sporting skills to help educate and support underprivileged youngsters in South Africa.
Michael Reeve will be jetting out to Cape Town as part of a team of volunteers to teach children about the dangers of HIV and malaria - but will be holding his lessons on the sports pitch rather than the classroom.
The 18-year-old former Reepham College student from Stuart Road is going to the South African capital with the government funded Coaching for Hope programme and will spend three months educating youngsters through team sports, including football.
Michael, a lifeguard at Sheringham's Splash leisure centre who wants to become a PE teacher, said he wanted to take a year out before starting university next September and was keen to combine it with some travel.
After finding out about Coaching for Hope he successfully got through the interview process, attended a training weekend in Birmingham and is now preparing to leave for Cape Town in January.
He said: 'If I could fast forward the next two months I'd do it right now. The chance to make a difference is the most exciting part, but the whole experience itself I'm buzzing off. It will give me so much more life skills, so not only will I be giving but I'll be receiving skills as well.
'My mum and dad are very proud and my friends wish they were on the course themselves.'
- 1 Sainsbury's moves to quash rumour of till closures at Norfolk store
- 2 Village pub reopening after £200k refurbishment
- 3 Public toilets in north Norfolk 'swamped' by campervan waste
- 4 Banking counter to open after town's last branch closes
- 5 New chef brings taste of the Med to town cafe
- 6 Most desirable places to live in Norfolk according to estate agents
- 7 Competition offers free week at Cromer beach chalet
- 8 North Norfolk pub re-opens as a hotel
- 9 Person injured and road blocked after north Norfolk crash
- 10 'Rare' blue lobster found by Norfolk fisherman
As part of his trip Michael has to raise �1,000 towards his costs. If you can help him with fundraising or donations visit www.justgiving.com/Michael-Reeve2011, email email@example.com or call 01263 733744.