Aylsham teen prepares to teach life lessons on the pitch
An Aylsham teen is harnessing his sporting skills to help educate and support underprivileged youngsters in South Africa.
Michael Reeve will be jetting out to Cape Town as part of a team of volunteers to teach children about the dangers of HIV and malaria - but will be holding his lessons on the sports pitch rather than the classroom.
The 18-year-old former Reepham College student from Stuart Road is going to the South African capital with the government funded Coaching for Hope programme and will spend three months educating youngsters through team sports, including football.
Michael, a lifeguard at Sheringham's Splash leisure centre who wants to become a PE teacher, said he wanted to take a year out before starting university next September and was keen to combine it with some travel.
After finding out about Coaching for Hope he successfully got through the interview process, attended a training weekend in Birmingham and is now preparing to leave for Cape Town in January.
You may also want to watch:
He said: 'If I could fast forward the next two months I'd do it right now. The chance to make a difference is the most exciting part, but the whole experience itself I'm buzzing off. It will give me so much more life skills, so not only will I be giving but I'll be receiving skills as well.
'My mum and dad are very proud and my friends wish they were on the course themselves.'
- 1 Influencer loses one-of-a-kind wedding ring at coast
- 2 Campaigner 'more convinced than ever' about new light rail link
- 3 Cromer captured in stunning detail by academy students
- 4 ‘Sore heads this morning’ - North Norfolk pubs enjoy first Saturday back
- 5 'A fantastic success story' - Men's Shed celebrates new premises
- 6 Tired but delighted - five businesses look back on first week reopen
- 7 Bookings fly in as new dog grooming salon opens in town centre
- 8 Success for town's first official scarecrow festival
- 9 Concern over state of beach following £22m sandscaping project
- 10 Tree planted in memory of Prince Philip
As part of his trip Michael has to raise �1,000 towards his costs. If you can help him with fundraising or donations visit www.justgiving.com/Michael-Reeve2011, email email@example.com or call 01263 733744.