Aylsham Show celebrates landmark year
- Credit: LEE TODD.
A special cake has been baked to celebrate a landmark anniversary in region's agricultural calendar.
Briston-based bakers HV Graves have baked and decorated three cakes to celebrate the 70th anniversary of the Aylsham Show, which is being held on the National Trust estate at Blickling on Bank Holiday Monday.
Two, three foot by two foot cakes, which each need two people to carry them, were served to nearly 500 guests at the eve-of-show dinner dance.
And a third, smaller cake, will be at the show itself as part of the president's 11am to noon drinks reception.
Baker Paul Graves said he had suggested the business donate the cakes because they too have been celebrating their 70th birthday this year, having been launched just after the Second World War, in 1946.
You may also want to watch:
'It seemed appropriate considering we share the birthday and this year is a significant one for both us and the show,' said Mr Graves.
'The team here have been busy bringing the finishing touches to the cakes and we look forward to hundreds of people enjoying them.'
- 1 Pioneering boat will make Norfolk coast more accessible
- 2 Hardware store owners retiring after more than 60 years
- 3 Vets announces temporary closure due to staff shortages
- 4 Sisters reopen popular riverside pub
- 5 Your say - What is your favourite restaurant in north Norfolk?
- 6 Fresh weather warning with Storm Evert set to hit Norfolk
- 7 Thousands of rural homes to benefit from broadband funding
- 8 Dad uses son's ashes in a tattoo on his leg
- 9 Every Norfolk primary school rated as 'Outstanding'
- 10 Signalling fault causes delays on north Norfolk train lines
The show gates open at 8am on Monday. Entry without a pre-paid ticket is £15, cash only. Accompanied children aged 16 and under are free, as is car parking.
Jo Coxford, who plays a key part in organising the dinner dance, said: 'We are enormously grateful to Paul and everyone involved at Graves for their donation.
'There are lots of people who play a huge part in helping us create the Aylsham Show every year, it's a massive team effort.'
Among the highlights at this year's show is the Battle of Britain Memorial flight at 2pm.