Aylsham in line for a new Post Office
A new Post Office could open in Aylsham's Budgens supermarket with longer opening hours, a car park and better facilities for disabled people, chiefs have announced.
Post Office Ltd has launched a public consultation to ask residents' views on the plans, which follow the resignation of current sub-postmistress Lynn Westhorpe.
Mrs Westhorpe, who runs the town's Post Office on Hungate Street, is due to retire on March 20.
A Post Office spokesman said an applicant was currently going through the recruitment process and, subject to their successful appointment, the Post Office service would be moved into Budgens, on Norwich Road.
'Our priority is to safeguard Post Office services to the local community in the longer term. The relocation of Aylsham Post Office will allow us to maintain access to Post Office services and improve existing facilities in Aylsham,' the spokesman added.
Benefits would include extended opening hours to include Wednesday afternoons, level access with wide automatic doors, a low-level serving counter and writing desk, space for a wheelchair, a hearing loop, the supermarket's car park and on-line Lottery facilities.
The Post Office would otherwise offer the same services as at present. Its opening hours would be Monday to Saturday 9am to 5.30pm, Saturday 9am to 12.30pm.
- 1 Norfolk-born entrepreneur is second richest person in country
- 2 The north Norfolk roads closing for the Queen's Jubilee
- 3 Cafe and shop along Norfolk Broads up for sale with 'rare opportunity'
- 4 Morgan the model moggie raises £1,000s for other animals
- 5 Revamped 'hidden gem' restaurant hoping to put village on map for food
- 6 Anne Boleyn's execution commemorated at Blickling
- 7 Students get set for A Midsummer Night’s Dream
- 8 'Amazing' display of cascading poppies now on display in Cromer
- 9 100 East Anglian events you cannot miss this summer
- 10 Landlord appeals against fine for 'excess cold and electrical hazards'
The consultation period closes on Tuesday April 5. Submissions can be made to Post Office Ltd, c/o National Consultation Team, PO Box 2060, WATFORD WD18 8ZW, via email to firstname.lastname@example.org, via the customer helpline: 08457 22 33 44 or Textphone 08457 22 33 55.