Delight as chess club resumes 'over the board' play
- Credit: Supplied by Jonathan Reeve
Chess players at a north Norfolk club have made a welcome return to 'over the board' play after being restricted to online games for much of the past 18 months.
Aylsham Chess Club have launched small 'social chess' sessions at the Aylsham and District Ex Service and Social Club, and are looking forward to resuming competitive games in autumn.
John Wickham, the club's chairman, said chess should have a bright future in Norfolk.
He said: “It seems that a lot of people have taken up chess during lockdown - mainly playing against others in their bubble or over the internet.
"Hopefully, this initiative will give people the chance to try playing against other chess enthusiasts before deciding whether to join a club for the 2021-22 season.”
You may also want to watch:
It is also hoped that Aylsham Library Chess Group will be able to resume on Wednesday mornings from September. To find out more, visit www.norfolkchess.org/clubs or contact the Aylsham club's secretary on 01263 733744 or email email@example.com.
- 1 Classic cars raise hundreds for charity at Mundesley Motor Show
- 2 Stunning sunset artwork being raffled for new cancer centre
- 3 Objectors gather to protest against 60ft 5G phone mast plans
- 4 Father and son rescued after being swept out to sea
- 5 Trains cancelled due to flooding - and more heavy rain expected
- 6 Market organiser vows big return after weather fears spark cancellation
- 7 £2m bid for 62 new independent living apartments for over 55s
- 8 'Lost a couple of staff members a day' - how the 'pingdemic' is hitting Norfolk
- 9 Tell us: Why young people move away from Norfolk
- 10 Man taken to hospital after cardiac arrest at beach