Aylsham butcher misses out on national crown
The East of England's best butcher, based in Aylsham, has been pipped by a Kentish rival for the national crown.
Crawford White was among a butcher's dozen of finalists who attended a ceremony at the House of Lords earlier this week to learn who had won the Best Butcher in Britain crown in the so-called 'Rural Oscars' organised by the Countryside Alliance.
The title was awarded to SW Doughty butchers, in Doddington, Kent, but Mr White said the reception at the Palace of Westminster had been an enjoyable experience with a high 'feel-good factor.'
He believes the winners earned extra points because their shop has a slaughterhouse attached.
VIPs at the ceremony included Clarissa Dickson Wright, the celebrity chef and prominent Countryside Alliance supporter.
You may also want to watch:
Mr White, who runs G F White Butchers in Aylsham's Red Lion Street, is the third generation of Whites to run the family business and won the regional title in February.
Judge Karen Davison-White said that the quality of local produce on sale was exceptional, including game shot by Mr White himself.
- 1 'It all turned out well' - town sparkles as Christmas lights switched on
- 2 Front door set on fire during early morning arson attack in village
- 3 Strong winds batter coast - but fears of flooding avoided
- 4 Dead sperm whale washes up on Norfolk coast
- 5 How Norfolk and Waveney MPs voted in coronavirus tiers vote
- 6 Community group asked to clarify where legal damages paid by council will go
- 7 Dozens of new Covid marshals to become 'the eyes and ears of the districts'
- 8 'If they move us to tier one we'll open' - businesses prepare for tier two restrictions
- 9 Housing group scoops award for affordable scheme
- 10 Norfolk MPs have their say ahead of vote on Covid tiers
She also praised his commitment to educating youngsters about where their food came from during school talks.
After the finals Mr White said: 'We're really pleased to be the best in the region. The local award means a lot to us.'