Awards for North Walsham Cadets
A 16-year-old north Norfolk air cadet who has already taken to the skies flying solo in a glider plane has been named as an outstanding officer in his cadet unit.
Aylsham High School pupil Joe Honour, from Swanton Abbott, near North Walsham, is a member of North Walsham Air Cadets 2110 Squadron, and after taking to the skies earlier this year he has now been given a promotion.
As well as being awarded the Battle of Britain Challenge Cup for the most outstanding non-commissioned officer in the unit at their awards evening, held on Monday, November 15, he was also given promotion to Flight Sergeant.
Although he started gliding just over a year ago, Joe had to wait for his birthday in September this year, before he could fly on his own, which he did for the first time on October 2. The minimum age someone can be a glider pilot is 16, making Joe one of the youngest pilots in the country at the moment.
At the awards evening, a number of other cadets also received commendations. Best cadet of the year went to Cadet Samuel Fairweather, Most improved cadet went to Cadet Louise Keable, best academic results went to Sergeant Christopher Willett and best model maker was Corporal Joe Rendle.
You may also want to watch:
Flight Lieutenant Robert Gardner, commanding officer of the squadron, said: 'This is my first full year at 2110 Sqn and the cadets have achieved a great deal this year. The results of the awards were very close, when comparing what each cadet had achieved but has given all of the cadets a target to fight for in the year to come. Very well done to the cadets that achieved their awards, but I look forward to making some hard decisions in next year's awards.'
2110 (North Walsham) Squadron meets every Monday and Wednesday (7pm – 9.30pm) at The Hut, North Walsham Primary School, Manor Road, North Walsham, NR28 9HG. Anyone interested in joining can call 01692 402110 or 07821665650 for more information.
- 1 Concern over state of beach following £22m sandscaping project
- 2 'A fantastic success story' - Men's Shed celebrates new premises
- 3 Happy birthday, Arthur! 100 up for Second World War naval hero
- 4 ‘Sore heads this morning’ - North Norfolk pubs enjoy first Saturday back
- 5 Norfolk attractions enjoy 'amazing' Saturday as visitors flood back
- 6 County council election 2021: Who is standing in north Norfolk?
- 7 Hospital to close with loss of 120 jobs
- 8 Hotel's bid for nine holiday lodges 'to compete with Airbnb'
- 9 WATCH: Delighted Delia Smith leads Canaries fans in Emi Buendia sing song
- 10 Rescue drama as kayaker spotted 'clinging to a buoy'