Armed police swoop on Cromer to arrest man armed with sword
- Credit: Archant
Armed police swooped on Cromer after a man armed with a sword was reported acting 'aggressively towards other males'.
The dramatic scenes unfolded in the town centre on Wednesday night - just days after the seaside resort was placed in lockdown following earlier trouble.
However, police say the latest incident is not connected to disorder at the weekend.
Officers were called to Runton Road, near the junction with Cabbell Road, at 9.56pm.
Armed units were deployed to the scene however local officers detained a man in his 50s from the Cromer area on nearby Church Street, outside the Albion pub, at 10.12pm.
He was arrested on suspicion of possessing an offensive weapon and taken into custody at Aylsham Police Investigation Centre for questioning.
Police, who confirmed they had seized a sword, have appealed for anyone with information to contact them.
- 1 'One in a million' town haberdasher dies at 80
- 2 Broads bridge in north Norfolk to close this year for roadworks
- 3 Michael Bublé concert bans chairs and blankets from gig
- 4 Peter Smith: 'The holes in the fabric of our town'
- 5 Have your say: 7 projects that could 'regenerate' Cromer
- 6 Mammoths 'return' to north Norfolk in GoGo sculpture trail
- 7 'A fantastic four days' - North Walsham enjoys return of Funday
- 8 Rare chance to travel on historic trains during railway's Vintage Week
- 9 Three-bed barn conversion at Norfolk beauty spot up for sale for £1.25m
- 10 Roadworks and closures to be aware of in Norfolk this week
They should call PC Tina Wright at North Walsham Police Station on 101.
Local businesses were forced to close last weekend after thugs went on the rampage - stealing from shops, taking food and drink without paying, and intimidating the public.