Appeal launched for water sports centre
A �50,000 appeal has been launched to transform a disused Cromer toilet block in to a life-saving and water sports centre.The North Norfolk Surf Living Club wants to set up its headquarters, including an RNLI training base, in the promenade toilets.
A �50,000 appeal has been launched to transform a disused Cromer toilet block in to a life-saving and water sports centre.
The North Norfolk Surf Living Club wants to set up its headquarters, including an RNLI training base, in the promenade toilets.
Members are confident that enough donations and grants will be found to open the new facility in time for next summer.
The club, which was formed two years ago, will use the centre to help train RNLI lifeguards, promote water safety and organise water-based sports and activities.
You may also want to watch:
Adam Frere-Smith, from the club, said: 'At the moment the club is based in three or four people's bedrooms. To have our own base would help us continue RNLI training, carry out water safety school visits and organise competitions.'
Stuart Thompson, RNLI lifeguard supervisor, said the new centre would help the 40 lifeguards in the region continue to have the best training available to help them deal with about 50 incidents a year.
- 1 Supermarket ‘champion’ clocks up thousands for charity - in spite of battling coronavirus
- 2 How a now quiet North Norfolk village was once a bustling European port
- 3 Encouraging signs as Covid infection rates plummet in parts of Norfolk
- 4 Norfolk coronavirus infection rates fall further
- 5 Welcome to our new website
- 6 'This is a call to arms': Care home launches defibrillator campaign
- 7 'Magna Carta is no defence' - Man caught fishing illegally on Broads
- 8 ‘A little bit of joy’ - Coastal town gets a Christmas tree with a difference
- 9 Nurse died at home, inquest hears
- 10 MP pleads for Norfolk to be in lowest Covid tier
North Norfolk District Council owns the toilet block and supports the new centre scheme.
Anyone who wants to support the North Norfolk Surf Living Club's centre plans or is interested in joining the group can call Mr Frere-Smith on 07854 638247 or e-mail email@example.com