Appeal launched for water sports centre
A �50,000 appeal has been launched to transform a disused Cromer toilet block in to a life-saving and water sports centre.The North Norfolk Surf Living Club wants to set up its headquarters, including an RNLI training base, in the promenade toilets.
A �50,000 appeal has been launched to transform a disused Cromer toilet block in to a life-saving and water sports centre.
The North Norfolk Surf Living Club wants to set up its headquarters, including an RNLI training base, in the promenade toilets.
Members are confident that enough donations and grants will be found to open the new facility in time for next summer.
The club, which was formed two years ago, will use the centre to help train RNLI lifeguards, promote water safety and organise water-based sports and activities.
Adam Frere-Smith, from the club, said: 'At the moment the club is based in three or four people's bedrooms. To have our own base would help us continue RNLI training, carry out water safety school visits and organise competitions.'
Stuart Thompson, RNLI lifeguard supervisor, said the new centre would help the 40 lifeguards in the region continue to have the best training available to help them deal with about 50 incidents a year.
- 1 Your say: Should we close carparks at north Norfolk beauty spots?
- 2 Freezing cold temperatures could see snow in parts of Norfolk this weekend
- 3 Panoramic views for every customer after award-winning restaurant's refurb
- 4 The £500,000 plan to redo two town loos
- 5 New book reveals how Albert Einstein's stay in Norfolk may have saved his life
- 6 Norfolk to be battered by winds of up to 65mph as Storm Arwen hits UK
- 7 Hardware store owners to bid farewell after seven decades in business
- 8 Nominees for the North Norfolk Awards 2021 revealed
- 9 Seaside village set to sparkle by turning into giant advent calendar
- 10 'Covid didn't kill off our creativity' - Man, 73, releases Christmas song with puppets
North Norfolk District Council owns the toilet block and supports the new centre scheme.
Anyone who wants to support the North Norfolk Surf Living Club's centre plans or is interested in joining the group can call Mr Frere-Smith on 07854 638247 or e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org