Appeal launched for water sports centre
A �50,000 appeal has been launched to transform a disused Cromer toilet block in to a life-saving and water sports centre.The North Norfolk Surf Living Club wants to set up its headquarters, including an RNLI training base, in the promenade toilets.
A �50,000 appeal has been launched to transform a disused Cromer toilet block in to a life-saving and water sports centre.
The North Norfolk Surf Living Club wants to set up its headquarters, including an RNLI training base, in the promenade toilets.
Members are confident that enough donations and grants will be found to open the new facility in time for next summer.
The club, which was formed two years ago, will use the centre to help train RNLI lifeguards, promote water safety and organise water-based sports and activities.
Adam Frere-Smith, from the club, said: 'At the moment the club is based in three or four people's bedrooms. To have our own base would help us continue RNLI training, carry out water safety school visits and organise competitions.'
Stuart Thompson, RNLI lifeguard supervisor, said the new centre would help the 40 lifeguards in the region continue to have the best training available to help them deal with about 50 incidents a year.
- 1 Norfolk singer's big hopes for her girl band's debut single
- 2 Man died on 50th birthday at Norfolk coastal campsite
- 3 First coastal road marathon in three decades hailed 'magnificent' success
- 4 Mammoth Marathon winner says course was 'one of the hardest'
- 5 'Beheading' comment sees councillor reported to police
- 6 'Everything has gone up' - How mum Melanie is dealing with cost of living
- 7 Man swims for survival after speedboat sinks off Norfolk coast
- 8 Six beaches in Norfolk awarded Blue Flag status for 2022
- 9 'Rainbow of rhodies' puts on stunning display at Sheringham Park
- 10 Council urged to take over ownership of derelict Cromer nightclub
North Norfolk District Council owns the toilet block and supports the new centre scheme.
Anyone who wants to support the North Norfolk Surf Living Club's centre plans or is interested in joining the group can call Mr Frere-Smith on 07854 638247 or e-mail email@example.com