Concerns over dead fish on beaches continue as another dog is reported sick
PUBLISHED: 19:49 04 January 2018 | UPDATED: 14:04 17 January 2018
Another dog has been reported as sick after ingesting fish on a north Norfolk beach.
Zelda Eady, 56, walked her six-month-old black Labrador, Phoebe, on Holkham beach on January 1.
Dr Eady said Phoebe ate one flat fish which had washed up onto the beach.
She said: “She ate one and luckily my husband took the second one out of her mouth.
“I am glad he did as I don’t think she’d be with us now if she’d eaten more.
“We did expect her to be sick but not this poorly.”
Phoebe was very sick and lethargic following the trip to the beach and showed no interest in eating or drinking.
Dr Eady said Phoebe had been placed on a rehydrating drip and given painkillers.
She added: “I noticed a lot of dead sea urchins and whelks on the beach, and all their shells were open, which is unusual.
“Phoebe will definitely be wearing a muzzle for beach walks in future, if she pulls through.”
The environment agency said fish samples have been taken from the beach at Cley for analysis.
A spokesperson for the agency said they were not aware of any water quality or pollution issues in the area.
If you value what this story gives you, please consider supporting the North Norfolk News. Click the link in the orange box below for details.