Coronavirus: Amazing support on offer in small Norfolk village
- Credit: Archant
A small north Norfolk village has been inundated with offers of support from residents keen to help out in the community.
Gemma Harrison, parish clerk for Cley-next-the-sea, said: “I have been totally blown away with the amount of support being offered to those vulnerable and at risk residents in the parish.
“We have 30 residents who have registered to help others in the community. We are conscious of Government advice about leaving home as little as possible, so have allocated our volunteers one day a week to be on call. In order to ensure as few trips are made as possible volunteers have been allocated different tasks to carry out.”
She said the council had been working closely with the Spar shop in Blakeney, which had been taking food orders delivered by its volunteers on a daily basis.
MORE: Coronavirus UK: Charity sets out its support for hospital staff and patientsShe added: “Other tasks include dropping off and picking up prescriptions, dog walking, making phone calls and generally just helping out and reassuring our elderly residents.
“The community genuinely love and care for one another and have rallied round to help and protect one another. My chairman, Dr Victoria Holliday has led the initiative along with fellow councillors Calum Meadows and vice-chairman Richard Allen.
You may also want to watch:
“Soon my chairman will be returning to work for the NHS to help with the current crisis and so councillor Calum Meadows will take the lead.
“I would welcome the opportunity to thank Dr Holliday for everything she has done for Cley and wish her all the very best in returning to work, and to thank the hard-working volunteers, councillors, Rachel at the Spar and our lovely residents for making Cley such a wonderful place to work.“
– For more inspirational stories about how people are coming together to help others in need, join our ‘Here to Help’ Facebook group.
- 1 Four days of fun planned for North Walsham Memorial park
- 2 Nick Knowles joins outcry as Norfolk police told to close Twitter accounts
- 3 Norfolk set for dry week with temperatures to rise
- 4 'A truly affordable home': Teeny tiny abode sold for glamping
- 5 Aylsham Cycle Centre wins national award for entrepreneurial spirit
- 6 Why your phone might warn you of a 'terror attack' today
- 7 Ex-landlord, 95, pulls pint in his old pub after 32 years
- 8 House next to 384-year-old shop on market for £700k
- 9 Two Norfolk restaurants in top five 'secret' places to eat on English coast
- 10 Man with knife hidden in pen threatened to stab police officer