Everything you need to know about this year’s Cromer Crab and Lobster Festival
- Credit: Archant
Two north Norfolk towns are preparing to celebrate a famous seafood speciality with a weekend of food and events highlighting their link to the sea.
The 10th annual Cromer and Sheringham Crab and Lobster Festival will begin later this month.
And the weekend of events will kick off the festival's summer-long programme, including a 'boat shelves' art trail and August's crabbing championships.
The first weekend of the festival will be held on Saturday, May 18, and Sunday, May 19, with a Friday night concert at Cromer Pier's Pavilion Theatre, and food and drink stalls, entertainment, music and cookery and crab dressing demonstrations at the festival grounds in Cromer's Evington Gardens.
Friday, May 17
You may also want to watch:
The opening night concert will be hosted by entertainer Olly Day, with doors at the theatre opening from 7.30pm and featuring performances from, among others, the Sheringham Shantymen and Marlene's School of Dancing.
Tickets are available from the pier's box office or via the website.
- 1 Sisters reopen popular riverside pub
- 2 Tributes to popular entertainer after death following tragic accident
- 3 Hospital investigated over 'contentious' deaths goes bust owing £4m
- 4 'Unauthorised' headstones ruin family's final wishes
- 5 Stunning north Norfolk images shared to mark Norfolk Day
- 6 Norfolk inspires designs for £4.8m cancer centre, as opening day nears
- 7 Fresh weather warning with Storm Evert set to hit Norfolk
- 8 Inquest opens into death of teenager found in his home
- 9 Town council move to ban plastic crab lines from Cromer Pier
- 10 Classic Ibiza setlist for Blickling Estate revealed
Saturday, May 18
The festival grounds open to the public at 10am, with more than 50 craft, food and drink stalls on offer, and activities including kids' entertainment from Rollo the Clown and crab dressing by Julie Davies.
The annual crab race will be replaced by the crab lucky dip, from 10.30am, and there will be an evening performance by Tom, Dick and Harry and a barbeque.
2019 will also see the festival expand for the first into a fringe event - the Cromer Gardening Festival, in North Lodge Park.
The event will include a show garden, plant swap, massages, food, and a sunflower competition.
Sunday, May 19
The festival's stalls and events will continue, including cookery, theatre and heritage.
And at 2pm in the main tent, the annual Cromer crab sandwich competition will be judged.
To enter, contact Phillip at Henry's Cafe, in Cromer.
World Crabbing Competition
On Sunday, August 25, the festival's world crabbing contest will be held on Cromer Pier.
Teams and individuals can register from 9.30am and crab from 10.30am, with winners announced on the pier at 1.30pm.
The annual art trail will also be up for auction on Sunday, May 25.