500 queue for jobs at ex-Woolies store
Around 500 people attended an all day jobs fair in North Walsham on Tuesday as they sought one of 25 jobs with the town's newest employer.The response to the jobs fair for a new QD Stores in North Walsham fell slightly short of a figure of 720 when the same company ran an identical fair last month in the run up to opening their Beccles store, which welcomed its first customers on April 9.
ABOUT 500 people turned up at a jobs fair this week in search of just 25 jobs at
North Walsham's newest employer.
The response to the fair for a new QD Stores branch in North Walsham fell slightly short of a figure of 720 when the company ran an identical fair last month before opening its Beccles store in Suffolk.
Both the North Walsham and Beccles branches are in former Woolworths stores.
You may also want to watch:
Despite the slightly lower turnout, QD bosses said the number of people expressing an interest was far higher than they would have expected were it not for the recession.
Those who arrived at the fair in the King's Arms Hotel between 9am and 6pm on Tuesday were met by senior QD staff and given application forms and job descriptions.
- 1 Man in 20s dies and three hurt as Audi crashes into wall
- 2 Chef Galton Blackiston closes fish and chip shop during week
- 3 A148 shut for 'most of morning' after serious crash
- 4 Londoners fined for travelling to stay at second home in Norfolk
- 5 Met Office warns of snow at weekend
- 6 Hundreds of homes across Norfolk hit by power cut
- 7 Sport and TV stars heading to Norfolk for new festival
- 8 Analysis: Is lockdown finally working in Norfolk?
- 9 Norfolk wakes up to snow with more expected to fall
- 10 Vaccine will be rolled out in line with supply and geography, says CCG
Anyone who wants to apply for a job needs to return to the hotel with a completed application by today at the latest. They will be guaranteed an interview.
QD human resources director Nicola Waterman said the jobs available were a mix of full-time and part-time and for roles including supervisory staff, night staff, warehouse assistants and weekend sales assistants.
Mrs Waterman said there had been a large age range at the fair. A typical view expressed by the jobseekers was that they didn't mind exactly what they did as long as they could find work.
"The jobs fair at Beccles took us by surprise and was quite overwhelming in terms of numbers," said Mrs Waterman.
"We knew North Walsham would not be as busy because the advance enquiries were so much lower.
"But there was a steady number of people throughout the day, and, although it never felt overly bustling, a lot of people came through the doors to speak to us.
"We were mobbed with 720 people at Beccles, which resulted in 447 interviews over the following two
The new QD Stores branch at North Walsham is due to open on Friday next week.