5 Christmas day swims you can join in Norfolk and Suffolk
PUBLISHED: 15:12 01 December 2017 | UPDATED: 10:41 08 December 2017
Archant © 2004
It's a bizarre festive tradition which has helped raise thousands of pounds for charity - and shed a few Christmas pounds in the process. Once again this year, the East's intrepid Christmas swimmers will be swapping snug living-rooms for icy North Sea waves to raise money for local causes.
Here’s where you can watch the merry maniacs, or even dare to join them, this year:
• Huntstanton, 10am, Oasis Leisure Centre, Huntstanton Promenade
Making a splash for over 50 years now, the Huntstanton Christmas Day Swim is raising money for the Huntstanton Round Table, which funds a number of local causes. Remember to arrive in your fancy dress, as a £25 prize will be going to the best-dressed swimmer, and £100 to the best group.
Register at hunstanton615.wordpress.com/christmas-swim-2017/
• Cromer, 9 am, Cromer Pier
Cromer’s Boxing Day Dip, organised by the North Norfolk Beech Runners, will be donating all proceeds for this year’s swim to the Stroke Association to show support for NNBR’s own Andy Kett, who suffered a stroke in September. Arrive at 9 am for the warm up run or at 10 am for the annual countdown!
• Lowestoft, 10am, the Claremont Pier
Organised by Sentinel Leisure Trust, Lowestoft’s Christmas Dip raised over £10,000 last year for a host of local causes. They will be looking to beat that total in its 40th year, as Suffolk’s swimmers brace themselves for freezing temperatures.
• Overstrand, 10.15am, Bottom of the Gangway
One for those wishing to feel better about that Christmas feasting, the Boxing Day Swim at Overstrand takes to the tide just down the coast from Cromer. All swimmers are welcomed – at their own risk!
• Southwold, 10.30am, Gun HillA fancy dress swim will be held in Southwold this Christmas Day for a 6th year, raising money for the Rotary Club of Southwold and District. All sponsored swimmers will receive a medal, and Father Christmas himself is expected in the waves.
Register at southwoldrotary.co.uk/swim/