A historic building at the heart of North Walsham will soon reopen following the completion of a long-running restoration.

The Cedars in New Road has undergone substantial conservation and renovation works, which have brought a new lease of life to the Grade II listed building while still retaining its Victorian character.

The North Norfolk District Council (NNDC)-owned building has been closed since 2016 and was once the subject of a failed bid by JD Wetherspoon to turn it into a pub.

READ MORE: The history of the Cedars in North Walsham revealed in new research

North Norfolk News: The Cedars, in New Street, North WalshamThe Cedars, in New Street, North Walsham (Image: Historic England)

The restoration project was part of the government-funded Heritage Action Zone scheme.

The Cedars will open its doors to the public on Thursday (September 7), from 10am to 2pm.

Both floors and the ground floor reception of the building will be available to view after being converted into office space, set to be leased out to several businesses.

The building is believed to date back to the late 18th Century, first being shown on a 1797 map of the town.

The Cedars, or Cedar House, is thought to have been constructed as a family home as part of the Oaks estate – a large house with expansive ground that used to be located across the road, but was demolished in 1934.

READ MORE: Fresh hopes for town's future as £4m 'pedestrian-friendly' revamp is celebrated

North Norfolk News: The Cedars, in New Street, North WalshamThe Cedars, in New Street, North Walsham (Image: Stuart Anderson)

It was used as a family home up until 1946, being bought by North Walsham Urban District Council, which converted it into offices.

Ownership later passed to NNDC, and the building was used by the town council until 2016 – when it closed due to its deteriorating condition.

The work on the Cedars was jointly funded by NNDC and a grant from Historic England.

The final building works were completed by Malcolm Abbs Building Contractor under the management of the council’s Property Services team, with the original design work being carried out by Kings & Dunne Architects.